8.30.2008

glazed donuts & coffee.

I love going to the gas station. I don't care how much I am forking out...it just doesn't matter. Knowing that i will find a tiny bit of happiness in every gas station experience, I eagerly pulled into a NEW Shell station. I usually go to the station on Brookhurst & Talbert but this morning I was feeling Ellis...I wanted new scenery. You see, I look forward to the few minutes I get to stand by my car and look at the people...take in the sites and sounds of the less fortunate, those who despise getting gas and dread every second of it. Everyone is so cranky and impatient. Filling up always reminds me of roadtrips as a child...the smell of gasoline lingering in the car after we pulled away, mixed with black coffee...always in an army green thermos. It takes me back to waking up the morning of departure, usually 4:30am...I knew this time well because it always smelled like glazed donuts and jovan musk...my dad's signature scent for roadtrips. Funny that I escape to various roadtrips everytime I fill up my tank. I have the urge to run inside, buy a cup of coffee or a vanilla pepsi and some beef jerky.... only to be reminded that I'm on my way to work. Whether it was a roadtrip in Texas, a Hurley bus filled with 6 guys, me, snowboards and surfboards headed to Portland, Oregon or driving throughout the New England states in the crisp autumn weather...I get to go back there for about 5 minutes everytime I pull up to a gas station. I love those times. I hear the songs that we played on that trip, and I remember the smells...and I thank God everytime that He gave me an extra portion of sentimentality and that i am able to find joy in the little things. Goodnight from a bunk bed in a camping trailer.....good times.