5.02.2012

Thistle Farms. Ghana. Nashville. Stories.


Hi friends! This post is about a life changing organization I got to work with while I was in Nashville, TN called Thistle Farms. Thistle Farms is a social enterprise of Magdalene, which is a residential program for women who have survived lives of prostitution, trafficking, addiction and life on the streets. You know sometimes you just have those experiences that totally catch you off guard and you feel like you are right where you are supposed to be...well, that sums up my day spent with the women at Thistle Farms. Keep in mind, most of the time when I travel I go solo...just me and my camera. I like to get lost and meet people. So I made my way to their manufacturing facility in Nashville and had no idea what I was in for...but I was so excited to document the stories of these women and learn about the products that they've created [image on the left is a shot I took of a product I watched them create and package while I was there.] I was greeted right a way with a huge hug and "are you steph...the photographer?! I got my hair done for today!" And just like that I was in....lost in this amazing adventure. If you know me well...I don't cry very often. Let's just say I cried like a baby while sitting down with 2 of these women and hearing their stories. We cried together and hugged each other. Life is about connection. I had a "ah ha!" moment while sitting on that couch....I never EVER would've been sitting there listening to these amazing women tell me what they've been through and how proud they are of what they make if I had been sitting in a cubicle. It was a friday at 2pm...I am so happy I was far from what used to be comfortable and familiar. I am in the unknown everyday and it keeps me on my toes. Can't wait to share more about my entire Nashville trip soon! I left that day with a bag full of wonderful products, candles, a handmade journal, a happy heart and a bracelet I wear everyday that was made by women in Ghana. What an amazing creative trip. Follow Thistle Farms on Twitter. 
Currently listening to: 38 Special- Second Chance.

No comments: