5.04.2012

Center Moriches, New York.

Hi you! I am flying to New York for my 7th consecutive year. A little backstory before I continue babbling...when I decided I was going to NY for the first time in January of 2006 I thought wow I don't even own a camera...I should buy one. Seriously guys, I didn't OWN A CAMERA?! So what did I do...I bought a "nice" one just because. I purchased my first Canon 10D body and one lens. I had no idea what I was doing and of course I did not read the manual. In fact I think it stayed in the plastic baggie until I sold that camera a couple years ago. I am big on figuring things out for myself. Little did I know that trip would change my career path. I took photos on that trip and messed around with them in Photoshop. An artist that was in charge of planning artshows for Hurley saw my photos from that trip and told me he wanted me to showcase my "work" in an artshow at a studio in Los Angeles. Blackboxx Gallery with a rooftop view or the LA skyline...so awesome right?! I was literally standing beside myself...what an amazing and random opportunity. Sidenote: One of my favourite photos from my New York City trip (Bright Red Door) Just sold to the NYLO Hotel in Dallas, TX! Talk about excitement and confirmation that I am in the right place doing something that I love. The rest is history...I worked at Hurley for 3 years and then quit to take photographs and make art full time. All of that to say...New York has a very special place in my heart. That city helped shape me and I have gone back at least once every year since that trip. 

Anyway, I just booked my flight yesterday for my 2012 trip BUT this trip to New York will be different. The first part of the trip will take place an hour and a half from the city. I am staying in a house on the beach and the trip will mainly involve lighthouses, beaches, antiquing, volunteering at an organic farm, wineries, small towns and bluffs! I am staying with the owner/designer of R.E.D. ....of course we have never met but we feel like life long friends for some reason. I am so happy to be working with her and her company. Her work is fantastic. I am not big on wearing jewelry everyday but I would proudly wear her work any day, it's just that good. Take a look around her site and support her craft. The ideas/locations for this shoot blow my mind. Let me paint a picture of what I will be working with: 

Couple #1: Louie and Phelan. Organic Farm. Greenhouses. Dirt. Bandanas, dusty faces, working in the field as the sun comes up over the tomato plants. Leather necklaces, ID tags and tank tops. 

Couple #2: Nazma and Amanda. Nazma is from the Caribbean and Amanda is very boho chic. Shot at the beach. Bikinis and cuttoffs...feet hanging off dock, sandy hands. Close shots of necklaces with bare, sunkissed shoulders and wet hair.

Couple #3: Jana and Sam. They will be wearing finer jewelry from the collection...they will be travelers. Old school suitcases, hitchhiking. Harmonicas and guitar cases. Telephone poles and a highway that stretches into the horizon. Dusky skies. Sepia Light. 

Then on the last leg of the trip I take the train to Penn Station and have a musician/lifestyle shoot booked in the city. A full couple days of getting lost in my favourite place. SO AMPED FOR THIS.

Currently listening to: Alone by Heart.

No comments: