4.27.2012

Bored With Life?


"Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart, live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours." - Dale Carnegie

Wow, does this quote sum up my life or what?! For those of you who know me well or have been following my story you will understand that. Here's the thing...I have so many things running through my brain right now but I will try to keep this blog short and sweet. 2 years ago I quit my job as Social Network Evangelist for one of the biggest surf companies in the industry. Hurley is an amazing company to work for and I spent almost 3 years working at their headquarters in Orange County, CA. Before that I worked in Human Resources at a hospital in CA....cubicles, business suits & heels...climbing the corporate ladder towards VP of HR. I had no idea what I wanted in life...I worked hard and made a good name for myself within the healthcare system but there was absolutely no passion in what I was doing. When I got offered the job at Hurley I quit in a second...this job was fun, I could skateboard around the office and I worked with amazing athletes, bands and celebrities. Just like at the hospital, I worked hard...I moved up in the company but something was missing. That feeling in my bone marrow that there is something MORE....hmmm something more rewarding. I needed to do something that made a difference, that was fueled by the passion and drive in my heart. I wanted to make my own schedule and have more time to volunteer. Out of the blue...I handed in my letter of resignation at Hurley and shocked a few people. One of those people being myself haha. I got a lot of "who quits a dream job like working with Hurley, Nike and Converse?! Who gives up that paycheck and the perks of working in that industry and not have something lined up?" I had no idea what I was going to do besides move somewhere random and make money [hopefully] but taking photos, making art, music, designing ANYTHING that utilized my talents. It was a test....I wanted to see if i could "make it"....if I could survive doing things that I love.

Here I am today in Dallas, TX... 2 years later and I just got off a conference call w/ my business partner [yes, I own a business now! and the story of how our worlds collided is so incredible] and an executive for an organization that wants to hire us to shoot their conference. Let me just say....to answer that question from earlier....A crazy person. A crazy person quits a 'dream' job. I had to chase my dream...and my dream at that time was to travel, take photos, meet new people and hear their stories. That is EXACTLY what I am doing....it IS worth it...if you feel stale on the insides, if you want something more in your career...take a risk. It's the risk takers that make a big impact and it is so much more rewarding when you have taken that leap into the unknown and make something of yourself from absolutely nothing. Last weekend we shot a 3,000 person event for a large organization [Womens Food Service Forum] and met a ton of amazing leaders in that community. Listening to Presidents and CEOs of companies like Starbucks and Cinnabon speak about social media strategies...wow, right up my alley! Such an inspiring event and I am so happy that I have connected with such wonderful individuals and that I get to work with them in the future. As of a couple hours ago we just booked another event with Summer Brand Camp in Dallas, TX. So I encourage you....if you hate your job, change it....do something you love and tell your story. Tell it to everyone:) Big things are happening....I knew 2012 was going to be a good year. So blessed. Hugs!!

No comments: