3.01.2009

Pump the brakes.

"a life lived in fear is a life half lived."

I recently saw an epic film....Australia. And by recently i mean a month and a half ago. It was phenomenal to say the least. At some point during the previews I saw the above quote and it stuck with me. I am sure I have heard it before but this time the flavour of the words mingled in my brain throughout the entire movie. I have never been one to be afraid of my next move...if I want something I do it, if I want to learn something new I put my all into it and get it done. I usually throw myself into things before I have time to be fearful. I can think of a handful of times when that did not work out in my favour and I jumped the gun. Regretful? Negatron. I learned a lot about myself...through weakness and lessons learned one builds stability. Reminds me of the scripture in James, count it all joy...whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. I have always been a thinker. I have my fair share of those zone out in space moments and they usually occur after I have made certain decisions that my brain deems as stupid. I tend to follow my heart on a daily basis and my brain catches up eventually. How often does our brain keep our heart from moving forward...and is that a good thing? I know that most people would argue that you should follow what your brain is telling you. well that gets me to thinking... how much of life do we miss out on because we are too consumed with fear of moving from our comfy spot and jumping into something whole-heartedly. Something that could quite possibly be the best experience of our lives....or maybe the worst, it's all part of life. It is to be embraced.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's something to be said for jumping. But you might also scream all the way down. Don't know until you're one foot off and one is on it's way, I suppose.

Amber, Amberlyjoy, Amberlin said...

I wrote something similar (well not similar but same subject matter) a few months back. Heart vs. head is a long time struggle of mine. I used to believe completely in following your head but not so much anymore. My heart has an intuition my head does not. Of course the key is balance - but when in doubt I say jump. =o) Worse case scenario you leave your imprint on the pavement, but there's something to be said for that, too.

STEPH GRANT said...

i'll have to go back and read that one AJ. I miss you and your love for music. I hope I get to see you soon.