8.28.2010

From a book I'm reading...

"Someone once said that you'll be the same person five years from now as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read. The idea is that you won't grow as a person unless you bring new (and hopefully positive) influence into your life. The alternative is to do what most people do - NOTHING. They rarely or never make new friends, seek out mentors, or build into the lives of others. They rarely or never read meaningful and enriching books and articles."

After reading this I want to challenge myself to do a few things:

1. read for fiteen minute every night before bed.

2. read at least one biography a year.

3. at the beginning of each year, choose a topic of interest and spend the next 12 months learning all i can about it.

4. read one book a MONTH. (one of them being "How to Win Friends & Influence People" by Dale Carnegie)

let's see if i can stick to it.

Annnnd now....a pic I took of my sister yesterday.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

"How to Win Friends and Influence People" is one of the greatest books every published. I use the tips in that book everyday. It will absolutely change your life. If you can get your hands on a copy, please, indulge.

Unknown said...

Thomas Jefferson biographies are an excellent choice. I have some on my shelf. I'll share.

STEPH GRANT said...

Thanks for your input guys! I am really excited to start doing this. This year I read Chely Wright's biography. I'm mostly excited for the new thing I'm going to learn throughout the year. Suggestions? I might want it to be a different language....

I feel like I take things and learn enough to be decent at it but never really dive in all the way and become an expert on any subject.

Joey said...

I'm confused about number 4. Should it be, "Read one book a MONTH?"

STEPH GRANT said...

Yes! Haha thanks for catching that typo Joey.

That Guy said...

Read Siddharta by Herman Hesse. I think its a beautiful book on self discovery. Let me know how it goes :)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say, thank you. I randomly stumbled on your page and was inspired to create my own goals after reading yours. One of them being to start reading again, even if it means only reading a few pages before going to bed.

STEPH GRANT said...

dear anonymous....thanks for writing. I am so glad to hear that...don't be a stranger haha