12.08.2011

The End of Another Year.

"find life experiences and swallow them whole. travel. meet many people. go down some dead ends and explore dark alleys. try everything. exhaust yourself in the glorious pursuit of life." -lawrence k. fish



This morning I made myself some french vanilla coffee. I feel like coffee makes me breathe better...that's when you know you have a problem. I was having some quiet time this morning...reading, zoning, getting lost in my brain and I had a realization. Most people plan and dream of their wedding day their entire lives...they plan birthdays and big graduation celebrations but who really spends time thinking about planning their funeral? Seems pretty morbid. 


This all stemmed from a few things...but the main thing was something that my mom mentioned to me this week while I was back home visiting. We were dancing around the kitchen singing to Mariah Carey...she said "sing it Steph!" (She always gets happy when I sing to her). Then she said "I want this song played at my funeral". 2 things I know for certain about my mom: one, she ALWAYS has music playing and two, she wants her death to be a celebration of life. My mom and I think a lot alike when it comes to that. I want my death to bring people together. You know, talking about the good times...slideshows, great music, laughter and of course...hanging white lights. None of this mopey stuff...I mean sure, be sentimental..shed a few tears, hug my family a WHOLE lot but be inspired to live your life to the maximum. If one person who comes to my funeral leaves feeling a little more motivated to make a few more people smile, to give tighter hugs, to actually get out and LIVE life, to find joy in the littlest things and to make some happier memories then my time on earth has been well spent. 


I have asked 2 people and 2 people only to speak at my funeral: Grant Theissen & Russ Ronchi. I feel happy with my decision...I love & admire these two men & they have been my mentors throughout the years on different levels.


My moms song: "Jesus, Oh What a Wonderful Child" by Mariah Carey. 
What's your song? What's your story?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You inspire, and teach so many of us to reach deep down inside... our souls, hearts, and even upward into our minds. Thank you for being such an amazing human being. You are an amazing little blessing. - Erin De Santi

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of you:

"Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling." -Margaret Lee Runbeck

<3 you.
-R